hotshot horror story

Michael Jez 93SER at attbi.com
Mon Jul 12 21:09:21 CDT 2004

I recently tried to put headers on a customers 00 Nissan Maxima and lemme
tell ya ( he left with his stock manifolds)... after messn with putting the
rear manifold on- it hits the steering rack ! Who is the moron who designs
these headers ? Not only that after even tilting the motor so it clears the
rack- the Y pipe that connects the front cylinder head and rear cylinder
head doesn't even line up within an inch. Now mind ya doing headers on a V6
Maxima is not no job you can do with just a set of jackstands, try looking
for the rear manifold even on a lift, from bellow- now think ya gotta take
that off to do both headers ! The Front manifold... hehe don't even fit on
the studs ! I ended up redrilling the flange and using larger washers- and
even then it hits the primaries ! After installing the front header the 02
sensor hits the AC compressor.... son of a........... !!! So I said fuck HS,
I'm never putting anything from them on a Maxima, the product has received
similar reviews on our Maxima forum. HS has never made anything for Maximas,
they produced a product cattering to a LARGE community 95-05 or up VQ30 and
VQ35DE FWD cars... Think bout every Maxima from 95 and up can use these
headers, and every 02 and up Altima 3.5L. Good thing for Cattman (who BTW is
one of the oldest aftermarket company providing high quality parts and
service to us Maxima drivers) who released their own headers which make more
HP than the hit-or-miss-with-install HS headers. BTW the headers went up in
price and quality went down and so did fitment ! used to be 599 now its
650... Cattmans sell like hot cakes even at 800 bux with no fitment problems
and they have EGR provisions unlike HS headers.
Mike Jez
01 Maxima 5spd with every bolt on.
93 G20 w/DET with some mods- who gets whopped by a Maxima from a roll.