1st AutoX in turbo SE-R, ? on time improvement with R-Compounds

Tyler Clark mtclark5 at comcast.net
Tue Jun 1 21:33:38 CDT 2004

I ran my 91 turbo SE-R for the first time yesterday at a local autoX event. It
did relatively well but it was a handful trying to keep the cars power on tap
since there is inherently some lag in a turbo car. I struggled with deciding
whether to stay in first in the tighter areas or move to second and deal with
the lag coming out of a turn and only getting a second or 2 of raw
acceleration under boost.

The next problematic area was the cornering. I am using Falken Azenis
(205/50/15) and they seem to be an ok tire but I was warned that in a turbo'd
car I would want a R-Compound tire for sure. I really believe this now but I'm
wondering how much time I can look to pick up over a 60 second autoX track?

The fastest time of the day was a 53.179 and my fastest was a 55.464. I know
the car was good for another second or so with its current setup but seat time
needs to be there before I can figure things out.

The car was amazing in the extremely long slalom we had but not long enough to
make up the time I lost in the tighter sections. I just needed 5 mph more in
the turns to keep the cars boost level in a range that would make it available
on exiting the turns.

Any comments on tires would be appreciated as well as other mods making a
significant difference. I know the biggest difference will be in the driver
having more seat time but I'm just struggling with traction right now.

Mods List:

T25 on JDM SR20DE

Other engine goodies

Hypercoil Gen II springs

KYB AGX's

Hyperflex Kit

NO Aftermarket sway bars or STB's

NO camber plates

15x7 heavy, cheap wheels

205/50/15 Azenis

Gutted interior and anything else that's not necessary (track only car) 2200
or so pounds (guessing)