No oil pressure! (Not a Dura-Lube spam)

scott higashi shigspeed at yahoo.com
Sat May 22 02:03:19 CDT 2004

Hi Guys,

I was at Streets today with the Convention and I had
something strange happen.  The car was running fine
for a couple of run groups until the oil pressure just
died.  I have a mechanical Autometer gauge.

Temps were okay, no strange noises.

At 4-5K RPM was about 10-20 psi and zero (idiot light
came on) at idle.  It'd recover after the car cooled
down (20 psi idle, though max out at 40 psi when
revved).  I drained my 2000 mile old Mobil 1 5W-30 and
put in 4 quarts of Pennzoil 20W-50 but it didn't help.
 I drove all 400 miles back to Rocklin (near
Sacramento) with 20 to 25 psi at 3-4K rpm.

It used to always idle at 20 psi and ran at 60 psi at
above 3-4k rpm.

I did install some S3 cams late last week and had
broken them in gently then drove the 400 miles to the
track on them at about 4k RPM.

Is there anything that I could have messed up during
the install that would explain these symptoms?  Some
conjecture was that perhaps some RTV dropped into the
pan and jammed up the bypass?  Or a oil pump failure?

PLEASE give me some ideas here!

Thanks,

-Scott

p.s.  This failure caused me to miss the lunchtime
time trials that had I run times like I had earlier
would've netted me 2nd place!  Grr...