F**k! - alternator replacement gone bad.

David Pertuz davidpertuz at mindspring.com
Sat May 8 18:49:04 CDT 2004

This afternoon I was replacing the (failing) alternator in my G20 with
another one I had sitting in the basement. I had an inordinately difficult
time getting it out - probably unbolting the compressor would have been
less work in the end, but I decided to go out the top and even with the
pass. mount bolt removed, engine jacked up a couple of inches and the upper
rad. hose and cooling fans out, I still had to unbolt the radiator and lift
it up another 4-5 inches to get the alt. out.

I put the new one in and find that the VR plug is angled differently and I
cannot use the bracket that holds the harness to the adjuster bracket. I
also find that the female connector seems to be ever-so-slightly different,
as the male half on the harness does not snap in when it is bottomed out. I
inadvertently put just a _little_ bit of pressure on the male connector,
and......a big chunk of it just shatters! F**k! F**k!

Now I have to track down another one of these connectors and either cut and
splice, etc. the harness myself or have the shop down the street do it. I
am so pissed off now that I am inclined to get it down the street somehow
and just have them deal with it, and put my old alternator in after getting
it rebuilt.

Damn! Why does something relatively simple turn into a cluster****?

Has this happened to anyone else? Any words of consolation? Anyone have a
part number for that connector that I can use to get it somewhere?

David