Need help selecting a safety harness

Aaron K se-r at limitedslip.net
Mon Apr 19 18:27:33 CDT 2004

On Monday 19 April 2004 18:36, George Roffe wrote:
> I personally will not instruct in a car with race belts only without at
> least a rollbar.  No way no how.  While I appreciate what Jim had to say,
> wearing race belts without a race seat and at least a rollbar is like
> saying you don't wear seatbelts because someone you know survived a major
> accident because they weren't wearing them.

At a track event? I probably wouldn't either. But for a while in my se-r,
before I sold it, I was using a 4 pt harness with the rest of the interior
stock, but this I decided was for autocrossing only and wouldn't be a large
enough issue to worry about, since the speeds are lower and the chance of a
rollover is greatly reduced.

A question for all: any comments on using stock seat belts in a car with
race/bucket style seats (like the sparco evo for example)? These don't
recline and are usually FIA certified, but how safe are they without all the
rest of the usual gear (roll cage, 5+ point harness, etc)?

Aaron