aftermarket horn?

Ben Fenner fenfam at sc.rr.com
Sat Apr 10 11:03:15 CDT 2004

> Is anyone using a FIAMM or HELLA horn for a longer time period? Is a
> short life the price to pay for grabbing attention?

I had (Generic?) air horns (FIAMM style) on my volvo for 18 months. In
freezing rain they wouldn't work because the horns were blocked, but after
about a year of use (or rather, extremely minor use) they wouldn't work. I
pulled the string (I had them set up like a truck horn =P) many a times
until they started to work again, I'm not sure if the pump had siezed, but
after excersizing them, they worked fine again. I have since installed FIAMM
brand horns in my classic, and they've been on there for a good year now. I
seem to have them installed in the same place you do. I keep them in working
order by actually using them. How often do you use yours? Less than once a
week seems to allow things to deteriorate. I don't predict mine to go bad
for a very long time. Maybe try wrapping some fabric around the compressor
to act as a filter?

-Ben
1994 Black SE-R