EGR and emissions problems

Ari nismo87 at houston.rr.com
Thu Mar 25 15:25:19 CST 2004

Come to think of it since I got the new cat installed I have been smelling
exhaust fumes lately.  Now I do know that my cutout flange is slightly bent
from hitting the rail on the ramps at the muffler shop.  I put the cap back
on it and the car doesn't sound like it has an exhaust leak.

Another thing I tried was putting a pressure gauge on the tube from the egr
tube to the BPT.  It didn't really move over 0psi unless I reved the engine
quickly.  Even holding it between 2000-4000rpm at various speeds didn't
really affect it.  Now I know the egr tube isn't blocked because before the
header swap I unclogged it plus drilled the orifice hole bigger.  Then I put
my air compressor on it to blow it clean and it does flow air with no
problem.

As of now the engine's timing is set at 15 BTDC, I do have the UR pulley but
I found the first mark is TDC based on the screwdriver test.  Also I was
thinking of buying a wideband o2 just to see if my car is really running as
rich as the emission tests show.  Would hotter spark plugs help reduce the
HC?  I was thinking of running some BKR5E's but decided not to.  Any tips
would be appreciated.