Engine Removal 95 G20

Tim Rogers timrogers at charter.net
Wed Mar 3 21:10:28 CST 2004

 "The Walrus" (Koo-Koo-Kachoo) wrote:
> 1.) Can I still detach the knuckle (?) from the strut body and pull the
 axles from the tranny and leave them in the wheel hub to remove the
engine?<

Yes, if you mean that you will be detatching the steering link and brake
line as well.
> 2.) Where do you guys hang the AC compressor while doing this? With the
second radiator in the front still in place it's tough to manuever it more
than about 8 inches.<

I just pulled the motor from my '93 NX last month and used a tie-down to
hang the compressor from the hood in its more-or-less stock position.
Remember that you should be pulling the motor/tranny out the bottom.
Has anyone tried detatching the tranny, removing it via the bottom and
taking the motor out the top?

> 3a.) Can I put the new engine in with the primary/header attached?<
I wouldn't reccomend it if you are going to use the drop method, you would
really have to lift the car up really high to slide the motor out through
the wheel arch with both of the manifolds on
> 3b.) With the secondary/downpipe attached?<
Due to the above concerns and the chance of your 500 lb. motor/tranny combo
crushing the secondary, I wouldn't.  The secondary is too easy to
remove/install not to.
> 3c.) With the alternator attached?<
Hmmm, mine was removed, but you should be able to leave it on.

Tim Rogers