A question for you track junkies and racers...what lug nuts do u use?

Robert Legere rlegere at snet.net
Fri Feb 27 18:33:36 CST 2004

--- "Ray Sta.Juana" <raystajuana at hotmail.com> wrote:
 I set mine to
> 90ft/lbs to be safe on the
> street but that's because I have a Harbor Freight tq
> wrench. Should I torque
> higher at the track? Thanks

*****Over-torquing will cause as many or more problems
as under-tightening. The studs will stretch and lose
their elasticity required to maintain a preload. So
they loosen up more and more until they finally break.
Very common problem unfortunately, most people think
'more is better'. Once the yield point of the stud is
surpassed, it's time to replace them. I have 1/2"-20
ARP studs and open lug nuts, have never had a problem.

Bob Legere