Clutch Pedal Problem FIXED!!! Kinda long

Ray Sta.Juana raystajuana at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 23 22:36:24 CST 2004

I finally got around to going down to San Diego and having George Peters
help me figure out why the clutch pedal on my car was so damn stiff. Once
the tranny was apart we found out that the shaft that the throwout bearing
rides on had a nick near the end of it. So as the throwout bearing would
near the end of it's travel, it would have to go over that nick and required
extra pedal effort to make it past that area. After filing it down and
liberal grease application we put it back together and WHOA!!! The pedal was
so light that I thought that he hadn't yet connected the clutch cable! Now I
know what I've been missing all these months. It feels like driving a new
car all over again and having to get used to the friction point and not
stalling it due to the different feel of it. Many thanks to George for his
great knowledge and effort (I'm sure Leslie is reading this so if you are
then please just send my thanks along)

We worked on my car for 12 hrs but it didn't feel like it was that long. No,
the tranny wasn't all we worked on as I like to do things all at one time so
here's some other things that got done:

Installed outer CV boots for driver and passenger
Replaced starter with GTI-R starter from JGY (no more starter squeal)
Tightened accessory drive belts (they were so loose that they squealed at
startup too)
Installed standalone LED shift light, pics to come soon (man that things
bright)
Found out radiator is leaking (bummer)
Installed passenger and tranny JWT motor mounts (car shakes at idle like a
mother now)

Of course throughout the day is the usual BSing and swapping funny stories.
I was completely exhausted but elated at my newfound clutch pedal effort (or
lack of effort I should say) Thanks to all who gave advice about my problem.
Happy motoring

Ray S
98 Sentra SE w/mods