driver's side axle seal removal & GC+AGX question

Steve Barber steveb at twinight.org
Mon Feb 16 17:36:09 CST 2004

Okay... what's the trick?  That seal is in there tight. I've
destroyed the sealing edge on the old one trying to pull it
out so I've got to finish the job.  I tried carefully pushing
a large flatblade screwdriver underneath it and prying against
the tranny case.. didn't budge.  Vice grips on the only thing
they could grab (the inner edge of the seal) just tore a
chunk out of it.  Help!

On a less urgent note, when installing GCs on AGX struts, I
noticed the NPM writeup said to grind down the top part of the
strut body..  the GC instructions imply that you can knock that
part off with a hammer, install the sleeves, and then reinstall.
Is it that easy?  It almost looks welded on there, or I'd try it.

Thanks,
Steve