I'm Back - Defective G20 Acquired

Jon Pennington cowboydren at b15sentra.net
Mon Feb 16 16:30:37 CST 2004

The Walrus said:

> 1. Can I get a JDM or USDM engine that's made for model years before 95
> and still easily install it? i.e. a 91-92, 93-94 style SR20DE?

'94-96 G20s are all low-port OBD-II cars.  JWT can reprogram any of these
ECUs, to run just about any SR motor (including a VE, right Justin
McClanahan?).  You could put a high-port engine (most JDM SR20s are) in
this car, but that *may* be more work than you're after.  You can use any
low-port longblock you like, or any high-port shortblock, if you want to
gamble on the head's condition.

> 2. Where should I get the engine from? is SOKO and JGY still pretty much
> the place to go? there are so many on ebay and I'm so tempted.

Don't be tempted.  Get one from a fellow SE-R lover or from a known
source.  K.Watanabe can supply good engines too, and there are other
reputable importers.  Don't just snag one from eBay, because you never
know what you're going to get.  Might wind up with an S14 engine!

> 3. Brakes have been sitting unused for a year and through a winter
> outside. They look awful rusty all over. What are the odds of them being
> operable? the car has 117,000mi on it. what car shares brakes with the
> 95 G20?

A close lookover, a new rotor, and a rebuilt caliper will definitely get
you back on the road.  P10s, U13s & L30s (Altimas), and B15s share brake
parts.  For a big upgrade that would require 16"+ wheels, you could even
get the NISMO/Brembo kit for the '04 Spec-Vs on your hubs. :-D  With some
research, you may be able to piece together a good solution.  I think that
parts-store rebuilt calipers from a good brand would be good enough, as
long as you get your own pads (Axxis, VGX, or EBC are inexpensive and
good; I don't trust Nissan pads anymore).

> Stock Downpipe with intact flexpipe

You know any FWD SR20 part will fit...

> Leather G20 Seats

Is the padding shot, or just the leather?

--
-=|JP|=-        "Stays Fresh Longer!"

'01 B15 SE/PP  |   http://members.cardomain.com/cowboydren/   |  <//><
'95 SL2 Auto   |         cowboydren @ b15sentra . net         |