Auto to Manual Tranny Swap Problems

P at bossman at customsteel.com
Sun Feb 1 23:37:55 CST 2004

After three days of swapping a 5 speed LSD tranny into the auto 99 G20, Ive
run into a bit of a problem.  Everything is back together (finally) and here
is whats happening, the car is on jack stands at this point with the front
wheels off.

The car starts and it feels like the clutch is not fully engaging.  When in
neutral, the rotors do not spin.  I can put it into first, but even with the
clutch pedal pushed in all the way, the rotors begin to spin, hence the
clutch is engaging.  I cannot put it into any other gears without feeling
like its grinding into place.

Two things come to mind.

1) When putting the tranny in, there was not a distinct *stab* of the tranny
into the clutch.  It went in, but not like I have normally felt with other
trannys Ive done.  Could a miss alingment cause this problem?

2) This is a hydraulic clutch, I believe that I have gotten all of the air
out of the system but it still feels soft to me, keep in mind this is the
first hydraulic clutch that I have ever had experinece with.  There seems to
be no adjustment for the slave cylinder in terms of adjusting the throw.

Here are the key things down there...Lightened stock flywheel, JWT clutch
and PP, new TO bearing.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

P@
www.customsteel.com
99' G20 with some problems....