OBX and stuff

Lawrence Weeks dev at anabasis.net
Mon Jan 26 16:39:14 CST 2004

Once upon a time (Mon Jan 26), Matt Hunt wrote:

> That being said, what little comes in from banners and such hardly
> scratches the monthly bill. I don't run the forum because I want
> to make money nor do I want to "be famous". [ ... ] This weekend was
> a real eye opener, and I can promise you it will dictate my future
> actions. What it will NOT do is compromise any core values I have
> and my actions this weekend I felt held to them.

Money makes people stupid, and perception matters. The perception of
a lot of the idiots on that forum is that since money has entered the
equation, they somehow acquired some type of ownership. It is surely
idiocy, but, money makes people stupid. That, and the non-commercial
culture of the Internet when I started out, always kept me from ever
wanting anything.

As for how it dictates your actions... good luck. Seems that the
web forum beast will be tougher to tame than a mailing list such as
this. Of course, the culture of this list has ultimately driven lots
of people away (down to 693) and basically killed it, so perhaps you
don't want to tame it too much. :-)

Larry
Lawrence Weeks                                    lweeks at anabasis.net
Anabasis Consulting Ltd