GTi-R swap

Jon Pennington cowboydren@b15sentra.net
Thu, 18 Dec 2003 18:39:08 -0600

Raymond Kawski said:

> all that is required to get more power from the bluebird motor. As for
> not being as bulletproof, what?  I mean we have stock DE's
> putting out 409WHP.  So how much less bulletproof are we talking
> here.

About 100 HP worth, maybe more.  There are some seriously scary 'Rs out
there on stock internals with monster turbos that are *not* located in the
US.  How many HP is an HKS GT3037 good for at 20PSI?  Now factor in that
some looney Kiwi t00n3r[*] with a ROM writer and no concern for durability
wrote all of the fuel and ignition maps.  A stock 'R bottom can take that
(more or less) daily; can a Bluebird?

> differences the DET's will give is lower compression to make
> it safer to run higher boost on pump gas, piston squirters,
> a better oil pump and maybe a few minor things I'm forgetting.

The 'R has a much improved oiling system, stronger block, totally
different valvetrain, and *both* engines have piston squirters. ;)

> If his intent is just to get boost I don't see any reason not to
> use a Bluebird.

This is absolutely, positively, 100% the best advice I've seen in this
conversation yet.  If you just want boost, bragging rights are not worth
the GTi-R expense.  If you want 'R-like power, start with an 'R turbo
manifold, a Disco Potato turbo, and talk to JWT about fuel supply needs
(probably something like a Z32 MAF sensor and MSD 50lb/hr injectors).

[*] - No offense to any New Zealanders on the list, just making a point. ;)

--
-=|JP|=-        "Stays Fresh Longer!"

'01 B15 SE/PP  |   http://members.cardomain.com/cowboydren/   |  <//><
'95 SL2 Auto   |         cowboydren @ b15sentra . net         |