Decidedly OT (or is it?): DFS auctions on ebay.

Peter Serwe peter@easytree.net
Wed, 26 Nov 2003 16:26:35 -0600

Just thought I'd share with y'all how cool I
think getting a Latitude or Inspiron P3 notebook
on ebay from Dell Financial Services is.

For a pittance, compared to the price of a new
one, you get a machine that's been gently(ish)
used by some corporate folks off lease, without
an OS, and can make it whatever tool you need
it to be in short order.  For those with a fondness
for opensource OS/software products, it's even
cooler, who needs windoze anyway?

My fairly well engineered Latitude CPx p3500
was procured for just over $400, tax and shipping
included, and would make a great platform for
some laptop-based tuning system.

Most people put something more expensive in,
I'm relatively sure, but getting something that's
been refurbished by Dell techs, and the only
downside is lack of warranty, or a possibly
non-functional battery is not too bad for the
racecar on a budget that's going to wire it into
his 12-volt system.

Mine, however is a demo/network tool, and therefore
a writeoff ;)  Still tossing up between loading Redhat
Shrike and FreeBSD 4.9.  I wonder if the Greddy stuff
runs under WINE?  Anyone know?

Peter

--
Peter Serwe <peter@easytree.net>