Starting problem -- need help

wmc_sr20@bellsouth.net wmc_sr20@bellsouth.net
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 08:40:58 -0600

At 10:29 PM 11/24/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>Hey, fellow SR pilots. My '93 classic (5 speed, 135k miles, stock) has
>developed an intermittent starting problem. Occasionally, when I try to
>start the car, it doesn't crank.

Have you cleaned the battery terminals?  Know that sounds obvious,  but
I've seen some really odd electrical problems caused by a nearly invisible
layer of crap between the posts and clamps.  Get one of those special wire
brushes, if you don't have one.

A couple other guys have reported a bad ground from the starter to the
block.  Cleaning the contact surface from the starter to tranny fixed
it.  Might as well shine up the battery cable contacts at the same time.

Other than that...  Bad relay / solenoid module on starter?

The FSM has some hints too.

    -Wayne    '93 SE-R / '93 NK2k / '91 NX2k / '92 SE-R (in boxes & bags)