Starting problem -- need help

Josh Kinsley josh@kinsley.net
Mon, 24 Nov 2003 22:29:56 -0600

Hey, fellow SR pilots. My '93 classic (5 speed, 135k miles,
stock) has developed an intermittent starting problem.
Occasionally, when I try to start the car, it doesn't crank.
Here are the facts:

The lights do not dim while I'm turning the key, leading me
to believe that there is no power getting to the starter
motor coils.

I do hear a clicking sound, like a relay or solenoid, when I
turn the key.

The clutch switch seems to be working, because the relay
click goes away if I don't have the clutch in.

When it fails to start, I can usually get it to start by
turning the key anywhere from 20 - 100 times while cycling
through the gears, cycling the clutch, and cursing loudly.

I put in a rebuilt (Mitsu) starter and battery 2 years and
18k miles ago.

All help greatly appreciated!

Josh