Hydraulic Valve Adjuster

Charlie Guthrie smplmchn@mindspring.com
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 06:03:18 -0600

Our '92 SE-R with recent JDM engine developed a knocking sound on Sunday
(autocross) in the vicinity of the #2 exhaust valve. The valve cover has not
been off yet, but I am guessing that we have a collapsed lifter. We're
trying  to plan the work timetable. I have done nothing inside this car
except to replace the chain tensioner on the original engine, so I'm
unfamiliar with the architecture of the head.
Is this a repair that requires complete cam removal or is it possible to tip
the cam enough to access the #2 cylinder lifter?
Can the work be done with the engine in the car?
Should I just load up the revolver and shoot it? OK, that would never
happen, this car has too much history in the family. My son has six track
events on it and is in love with it.
Charlie Guthrie