Normal Oil Pressure?

Steve Foltz stevefoltz@hotmail.com
Fri, 7 Nov 2003 21:30:04 -0600

>It seems like somewhere around 65 - 70 psi on my particular motor, but is
>that normal?  I've heard the  10 psi for each 1000 RPM rule of thumb, but
>this seems a bit out of whack...

>Those figures seem high to me also. I've got an Autometer electric oil.....

Not really, I have seen plenty of engines that break the 10psi/1000 rpm
rule.  That is really more of a minimum point.  The sr20ve hits 100psi easy
on startup.  I still get 90psi all the time even with a added oil cooler.
The 350Z I drove had a pressure gauge and I was pretty sure it was way over
100psi at startup.  Oil pressure is a pruduct of the type of oil and the
temp.  I have found that 5W30 Mobil One losses about 10psi when it hits 200F
or above on my car.  65psi is actually below the recommended 10psi per
1000rpm rule of our engines.  We have a 7500rpm redline so 75psi would be
better.  Most DE's don't seem to come blessed with this level of oil
pressure.  It is common for the VE to have 90psi+ and it supposedly redlines
at 7100rpm.

Steve Foltz
98 Sentra SE
VE Powered