Trunk lock

Jim Wright wrightj@apple.com
Sat, 1 Nov 2003 22:11:29 -0600

On Oct 31, 2003, at 6:42 PM, John Chia wrote:

> My friend's Sentra's trunk lock is seized.  Either that or the key
> wasn't cut exactly.  Is there any way to open the trunk?

Depends how badly you want in there...  ;)

I'm assuming the manual release isn't working either?  If that's the
case, you should be able to remove the back seat, and get into the
trunk from the inside.  Depending on the year, there might be other
obstacles that may need to be unbolted to get back there, but you
should be able to get in.  I had to do this on my '91, roadside, to
release the latch so I could get to my spare tire.  I'm sure I looked
odd popping the trunk and climbing out, I'm sure I freaked out a
motorist or two.

Anyway, once in the trunk, you'll be able to get to the latch
mechanism.  You should be able to release it with just a screwdriver,
just look where the cable attaches and tug on that.  Lube everything
with some WD40 and hopefully you'll be able to undo whatever is
sticking.