Rice - is definitely not nice, a dorkumentary.

Peter Serwe peter@easytree.net
Sat, 1 Nov 2003 11:05:54 -0600

Well, with list traffic at a slow point, I figured
I'd throw in some commentary from the peanut
gallery - I've mentioned on list my neighbor who
riced out his '91 Saturn SC with a body kit, pretty
wires, and a big ass aluminum wing on the back,
he was trying to supercharge it.

After breaking a piston from detonation, he replaced
the pistons in the driveway out here - the rod bolts
snapped, he replaced the rods as well.  I kept
admonishing him to let someone who actually
knows what the're doing do the work, but he was
convinced he knew what was what.

He took a (I *think*) Vortech supercharger that
came off a supercharged Cobra - left the pulley
on it that makes 6lbs on a Cobra.  Thing boosted
to 10, *BANG*.  The even sadder part, IMHO
is that he actually dumped the 'kit' with some piping
to some other guy with a Saturn and there's going to
be another blown up car in short order - this stuff
makes me want to cry..

Makes me also realize that I don't want to do
*anything* without knowing exactly what
road map I'm following, and extra grateful
to this list and all the actual information on it.

To make a long story shorter, he got the engine
back together, and tuned it by 'I know what the
mechanical FPR is supposed to be set at' and blew
it up in 2 days.  This time, he broke ring lands in 2
pistons.

Now the Saturn is sitting, dead as a doornail
and won't start.  A fool and his money ...

Even worse, makes me cringe just to watch,
these guys are out there putting el-cheapo 5"
spring no-name coilovers on the second car in
the last 2 months.  Ricers and their money ...

It's kinda funny to watch these guys with vise
grips on the strut shaft, and no spring compressors,
and these fully bottomed out no name coilovers
ruining perfectly good stock parts, and putting
crap on their car.

Who cares about actual performance?  'It's all about
the appearance mods, man ...'

Should I take some pictures, or was I descriptive
enough for everyone with more than half a clue
to cringe and shudder?

--
Peter Serwe <peter@easytree.net>
Cheaper, Faster, Better, pick any two.