Was M3 crash/bad driving/kids with fast cars

Kurt Sussman kls@merlot.com
Wed, 8 Oct 2003 10:30:11 -0500

russell mcmullan (cleanone@hotmail.com) typed this ...
> A local talk radio host was talking about it last night and offerd the
> opinion that her parents were irresponsible for puchasing a vehicle that has
> the propensity for flipping for an inexperienced young driver.  I agree with

You can leave out the 'young' part. Any moron can flip a high-CG
vehicle.

I was driving around Mt. Lassen once, in a small pickup full of mountain
bikes (snow ride). We were going as fast as it was safe to go, which is
not very safe in a pickup on icy roads. A local in a big Blazer just had
to get around me, and spun in the VERY NEXT turn. If it had been dry,
she probably would have rolled off the road. Age != skill, though age
offers more opportunities to develop skill (as well as wisdom).

> have kids, you can bet that they will be enrolled in a defensive driving
> class before they EVER get their own car.  I wish my parents had sent me to
> a class like that.

Studies have shown that kids start learning to drive around the age of
2, so you need to BE the defensive driving class. Their driving habits
will be pretty much set by the time any formal driving class will take
them.

> What the young ones need are beaters with good suspension and brakes and no
> horsepower.

My dad told me I could have any car I wanted (and could pay half for) as
long as it didn't have a V8 engine. He was a little concerned by some V6
cars I test drove, but the suspension sucked so bad that they weren't
serious contenders.

I used to autocross a 914, which has no horsepower and spins very
easily. When I got my Starion, I could drive it smoothly because I had
practiced. It was still fun to hang the tail out once in a while,
though.

--Kurt