Helmets

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Fri, 19 Sep 2003 22:01:05 -0500

Josh Foster wrote:

>My question is at what level of motorsports do "M" helmets not conform to
>the rules.

Typcially, autocross will allow an "M" rating.  Driver Education "DE" is a
crap shoot.  Some allow "M" and some require "SA."  FWIW, I believe "M"
should be OK for DE, but I don't make the rules.

>My usage to be mainly auto-x and possibly a couple DE's with almost zero
>chance of wheel-to-wheel racing.

You never know.  My opportunity came from out of no-where.

>I would appreciate some general tips, and any websites with better deals.
>I've found www.racerwholesale.com and a couple others.

Josh, my wife just bought me a G-Force "Forced Air" helmet and I'm
impressed.  I checked them out at my last race and I think they are better
than the Bell helmets I've been using for most of my racing.  My force air
helmet is kevlar/fiberglass and cost the same as my Bell Sport II.  I
highly recommend the G-Force helmets.  I think they are better quality than
Bell and Simpson and the price great.

Personally, I'd suggest buying a SA G-Force helmet.  You can get one  for
about the price of a M Bell or Simpson and if you ever need the SA rating,
you have it.  If you're *really* not sure, you could always go to the
convention early and stop by Racer Wholesale in Atlanta and check them
out.  Of you could borrow a helmet for the convention and check out my
G-Force at the convention.

George Roffe
Houston, TX
http://www.nissport.com