AC on Power Increase

Bill Conner billc@fred.net
Sun, 14 Sep 2003 14:47:07 -0500

Qualudia101@aol.com wrote:

> Can anyone tell me how the TPS plug on my 93 comes off so I can
> set the idle?

Frank --

The TPS is attached to the firewall side of the throttle body,
visible from the driver's side fender.  It looks like a black piece
with two small screws running from the rear of the car through it
into the throttle body.  There is a brown connector that goes into
the black piece from the driver's side of the engine bay.  It has
3 small wires coming out of it that that are bundled into a little
black cable.  This brown connector is what you need to pull off the
first black piece.

To do this, you have to depress the little ear on the firewall side of
the brown connector to release the retainer and pull the plug toward
the driver's side of the engine bay.  Mine is a little sticky, so I
pinch the ear and use a fingernail or screw driver to pull the brown
away from the black.  Wiggling the connector with the ear depressed
helps too.

Once you start the car up again with the TPS disconnected, as you rev
it to 3000 RPM you will probably be able to tell when it goes into
"timing" mode.  Sometimes I feel a click and the idle is different
because the computer is no longer controlling it.  At this point,
your idle is controlled by your base timing and your idle screw only
-- no computer. So, whenever you change your timing, you should also
check your base idle.

Another tip -- after you change your base idle or timing, it takes your
computer some time to learn about the new settings. Drivability should
improve over the next day or so.

Good luck.

Bill