FW: A friend killed by drunk driver

Tim Rogers timrogers@charter.net
Mon, 8 Sep 2003 01:40:44 -0500

Mike and All,
Even though I never met him, I'm sad to hear about Jeremy's passing.
Its tough to lose a friend, colleague or respected business partner, and
even harder when that person is all wrapped up in one person.

I'm sure the performance community will be poorer for his loss.

The direct link to the memorial fund is:
www.paypal.com - use memorialfund@ss-ms.com

Tim Rogers

>>Subject: [se-r-highperf] A friend killed by drunk driver

I just found out that Jeremy Starr, the engineer at
Ground Control who I worked with quite a bit for the
last few years was killed buy a drunk driver a few
nights ago.

I last spoke to him on the day he died thanking him
for rushing out a strut housing modification and quick
revalve job for my SE-R cup car so I could have plenty
of time to prepare it for this weekends race.

I worked with Jeremy during the last couple of years
on the Z32, B13 and B14 Advance Design applications
and he was always quite helpful and able to turn
things around quickly weather it was for a race, test
session or an article deadline.  Jeremy was quite
willing to experiment and didn't mind if I sent some
shocks in for revalving 2,3, or 4 times to get it
right.

Jeremy also extended his favors to my team, always
turning our rush jobs around quickly, even rebuilding
a shock nearly destroyed in a 24 hour race in a few
days.

Jeremy, you would have liked to have known that your
last mods to my car worked perfectly and enabled me to
win this weekend.  I dedicate this win to you in your
memory. Thanks for all the handling over the years.

Mike

Well, 2 nights ago, on Sept 2nd, 2003, the life of one
of our own was taken in a head on by the disregard of
some DUIing SUV driver. On his way to his
brother-in-laws (NateS) shop Jeremy Starrs life was
tragically taken. Most people on this board, may not
know him by name, but he and NateS are the ones that
sparked the fire under my butt for hybrids

local newspaper story
local news channel
updated SacBee article

Ive known Jeremy since about 1988-89 Ive been
friends with him and his family for years. Our dads
worked at the same shop and we both skateboarded, so
we hung out a lot. In high school (~94-95), Jeremy and
NateS were the first heads I ever saw stuff a ZC-DOHC
into a 1986 hatchback Civic. I went to Jeremys house
where, there in the driveway, was the largest pile of
spaghetti Ive seen to dateand there in the middle
was Jeremy, w/ 2 Haynes manuals open to the ECU
pin-outs of both cars, and the harnesses separated
into every individual wire. Within the week, they had
that ED hooked up and running.
Jeremy and NateS used to use the Hybrid resources for
all their tuning needs back then, and are the ones
responsible for directing me the original
Honda.Hybrid-perf.org site

Jeremy and I were good friends in high school. His
older brother used to take us everywhere to go
skateboarding. Jeremy was there when we went to our
first punk show, Fugazi at the Crest theater.
Although, the years and life have drawn us away as
being close friends, I still see him and consider him
a life long companion.

Also, Jeremy wasnt really active on Hybrid (Vector48
on OG hybrid board), (he loved motorsports more than
his computer) he was somewhat of a guy behind the
scenes as far as road racing and competition industry
goes. Jeremy was the head shock technician for Advance
Design racing shocks at Ground Control. If you own or
raced on a set of ADs, its highly likely, he had his
hands on them.
Jeremy also worked on the crew for a few SCCA rally
teams, and helped his brother in law NateS engineer
Subaru and rally performance parts for S-Squared.
Jeremy was one of the most brilliant engineering minds
i knew. In high school this kid built the best
sounding studio quality stereo from scratch, in his
closet with old stereo tubes and a spool of wires and
scraps out of his dads garage.

I understand, not one of you may know him directly,
but hes the type of guy whod be there for anyone who
needed it. He was in his mid 20s and had a great
future behind him. Jeremy recently married a wonderful
woman, and had a young daughter.

Im still in shock really. I cant imagine what his
wife, daughter and family are going through. But Im
working on being of some help.

Jeremy Starr is succeeded by his loving wife Lisa,
daughter Emma & unborn child, one older & two younger
brothers, one older & three younger sisters, and his
mother & father.

If any of you would like to be a blessing, and sew a
seed into the lives of his wife and daughter,
please visit S-Squared Motorsports and contrubute to
the Jeremy Lee Starr Memorial Fund
They will be attempting to raise all the costs for his
funeral, and as much as possible to help his wife and
daughter survive and be able to get their lives sorted
out and get back on their feet, after this tragedy.

So if anyone would like to support this family in
their time of need, I will be collecting as much as I
can, and giving it to his family to help. Please
either PM me or email me (dbl_a11@yahoo.com) if you
have any questions and I will give you contact info.
Or you can use paypal, send funds to:
memorialfund@ss-ms.com

I ask you all to keep his family in your prayers in
this time of need.
I also ask, that you forward a link to this post for
anyone who is involved in SCCA, NASA, ProRally or any
other motorsports venue that could possibly feel the
loss of Jeremy's life.

The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill,
and to destroy. I have come that they may have life,
and that they may have it more abundantly. John10:10