Forged pistons

Nicholas Hadiaris Nicholas_Hadiaris@umit.maine.edu
Tue, 12 Aug 2003 10:48:06 -0500

"Jay Stewart" <jay@nx2k.com> writes:
>>And that's different from the pistons soaking up heat
>>(which I think will stop anywayz once the motor has been run for a bit).

>And there is the crux of what I don't get. Why is there oil squirting at the
>bottom of the pistons? To remove heat. Why do we remove the heat? Why is the
>cylinder surrounded by a water jacket, and the head as well? To remove heat.

>I understand how a turbo works, we need heat there, that's all well in good.
>But keeping the heat in the combustion chamber sounds counterproductive.

You're right, oil squirters and water jackets and all that are there to
remove heat.  But they're present to remove heat from the pistons, block
and head, NOT the combustion chamber.  All the metal parts of the engine
are going to start soaking up heat because they don't have any thermal
barriers present (cost issue remember).  But all that heat isn't really
good for your engine, that's why there are squirters and water jackets to
remove heat.  But if you are able to keep the heat in the combustion chamber
and then release it out the exhaust, you run less of a risk of all that heat
damaging your pistons head, etc.  You then have a more reliable and efficient
engine.

A good suspension analogy that comes to mind, that relates the way a stock
engine removes heat to the way a coated race engine removes heat, would be
trying to use the body flex of your car to give you more negative camber in
your turns, or bracing your car so there is no flex and letting your
suspension do the job more efficiently.

-Nick

SHIFT_subtlety