seeing through the catalytic converter?

Peter Serwe peter@easytree.net
Thu, 31 Jul 2003 16:17:19 -0500

spdracer@mail.utexas.edu wrote:

> I just took off my stock, 100k+ miles cat.  I'm curious how much you guys can
> see through a good cat.  Looking through mine, I can only see light through
> what seems to be about a 1/2" diameter hole.

When I last looked through mine, which was about
2 months ago at around 142k, I could see light the entire way
through both screens, no carbonization whatsoever.  If the screens
are intact, then I would imagine it's technically good, but
it's certainly not going to operate with any efficiency to
speak of with all that carbonization built up on it.

Does it still pass a sniffer test?  I would kinda doubt it,
but I am curious.

--
Peter Serwe <peter@easytree.net>
Cheaper, Faster, Better, pick any two.