rates (was: 5W-20 engine oil?)

Michael Jez 93SER@attbi.com
Fri, 18 Jul 2003 19:44:16 -0500

> I don't have a general problem with flat rates Mike, but I *do* have a
> problem with this.  Damned sure *somebody* is getting screwed.

-- I for one is usually on the customers side of the equation- to tell ya
one thing I charge the least out of all mechanics in the area- at the acura
dealers to do a clutch on a Integra- I only charge 7 hours instead of 8-10
hours like others do, yeah I know I'm going to do the clutch on it in about
a hour but if I only charge the customer a hour for it how am I going to
make my 40 hours+  that week ?

> I've always understood this as adding the subframe time to the control arm
> time.  That isn't what they charge?

-- No, I said they give ya like 2.4 for the subframe R+R, where they give ya
like 1.4 for just the controll arm- and the subframe has to come off to do
it ? whos getting screwed here ? ME.

> >Or oil pressure switch on a MDX is 0 hours in their book...
> That's wrong.

-- Well the 0 hours is a big mess up on Acuras part, but we can FORCE them
to pay for it by using a diff # for a claim- like a Diagnosis claim which
will give ya .6 of an hour- and to do a oil press switch on a MDX is like
changing the oil which aint bad at all. As far as not doing the work for 0
hours and giving the customer the switch- NO I was just joking cause I damn
straight make sure that the customer is happy 100%, we get bonuses bassed
off customer statisfaction index- CSI. Every time customer has something
warrantied car manufacturer sends U a little questionare in the mail to rate
the service experience ya had with the dealer that serviced the car. But I
know how salary based jobs work, and I don't like it. There are dealers out
there that no longer use the flat rate type of pay for their mechanic and
the trend is slowly going towards that. There are ALOT of fresh out of
school mechanics out there trying to break into the industry, but they have
not worked on cars long enough to know how things are done and basically get
screwed on flat rate type of work. I remember when I was 14 and was doing a
clutch on my moms Isuzu I-Mark Turbo it wasn't anything hard but it did take
me the whole saturday. This is why some dealers reather have young guys who
will work for the 10 bux an hour and pay them 40 hours a week- plus any
overtime they need to make. For me that type of work is unfair cause I would
take my sweeet time doing the job instead of knocking jobs out like there is
no tomorrow. FYI My highest booking in one week was 178 hours in a 55 hour
week @ Audi. Each tranny paid like 25 hours to do, S4 engines where close to
30 hours. I was able to do 2 trannies in one day, and an engine in one day.
Since I owned one before and had my engine out a few times for turbos etc I
knew the short cuts. I never use the manualls- only for torque specs and
tightening procedures. One of our Acura Master Techs was doing a steering
rack on a MDX for 7 hours- it only pays 3.8 hours to do it. Well me being
the smart Polak I am, came up with a NICE short cut and I can do the rack in
70 min including aligment. Once again sometimes- and with Acura- most of the
time, the FSMs are totally wrong.
Mike Jez