Slightly dumb question

Jon Pennington cowboydren@b15sentra.net
Mon, 23 Jun 2003 00:48:10 -0500

>   My question is, why is the valve cover different than my 97 200SX,
> with those "bumps" in the front?

Much about the engine in '00+ cars (like mine) is different.  Roller
engines, as they're called, have (ahem) rollerized valve trains (require
special cams, JWT S3), 4-counterweight cranks (as opposed to 8), 32-bit
ECUs (JWT cannot reprogram them), one-piece intake manifold (port shape on
the heads is different), top-feed fuel injectors (MSDs pretty much
drop-in), a different accessory drive system (UR/Stillen 2-pulley kit
works fine), a rear-mounted oil filter, and much beefier transmissions
hanging off the end.  They are rated at 145 CHP, and have a torque curve
unlike previous SR20DEs.  Oh, and a dumbass 6600-RPM redline. :P

Much information is available at http://www.b15sentra.net/, but you have
to do some digging to get the whole picture.  Basically, I/H/E/C/P is
still a very viable upgrade path, and JWT S3 cams do not *need* a
reprogrammed ECU to idle/drive well.  What does your friend want to know?

--
-=|JP|=-        "Stew my foot and call me Susan!"

'01 B15 SE/PP  |   http://members.cardomain.com/cowboydren/   |  <//><
'95 SL2 Auto   |         cowboydren @ b15sentra . net         |