Tein (was koni inserts)

Steve Foltz stevefoltz@hotmail.com
Thu, 12 Jun 2003 19:36:31 -0500

Cookie said:

>You know what Steve, for a guy who admits to not knowing about the tein
>setup,
>you have a lot of unfounded opinions already.

Never said I knew nothing about the tein.  Said I have not had them in my
hands.  I have researched the TEIN setup a great deal.

>The tein suspension is not new.  Only newly distributed here in US.  It
>used
>to only be available direct from Japan.  Now they have a local US
>distributor
>here in Paramount, CA.

Never said it was new, said it is new to america.  I have heard of no
feedback about the b14 TEIN setup from someone who tracks their car.  Now I
have but that is a first.

>Tein has pillow ball camber plates.  And one that fits right out of the box
>without banging up and leveling the strut perch like other plates out
>there.

I never said that TEIN didn't have that.  I said that the TEIN setup does
not give you the extra travel that the Ground Control setup does.  I did not
have to bang anything to install the GC setup for camber.  Plus the GC setup
allows for caster adjustment.

>This suspension has been proven to kick ass at the super2ner honda/nissan
>challenge (Bob Seeckts car) at streets, running as backup w/ 1:38s normally
>aspirated from the turbo guys 1:36s.  This car was running 2 inches lower
>than
>stock.  Your coil binding concerns...put it to rest...you will not find it
>here.

I still struggle with the amount of drop the tein requires in relationship
to the amount the struts are shortened.  They are only 1.4 inch's shorter on
the b14.  I can get Struts that are 1.5 inch's shorter using a Koni setup
and then add .75 using the GC plates.   My current setup with 1 inch shorter
struts and my GC plates (.75 inches) still runs out of travel on the big
stuff at Beaver run.  That's my personal experience.  Travel is very
underrated.  It makes a world of difference to not be on the bumpstops while
at the track.  Just because one person put down a good time with the TEINS
does not sell me on their product.  I do know now by looking at the pictures
my friend sent me of the teins that they should not coil bind.  I already
stated this in a previous reply.  Maybe that reply did not go thru to the
entire list.

>And where the did you get this from????  Are you stating a fact here?  I
>can't
>believe you can make such a statement without checking your sources first.
>Again to set the record straight, Bob Seeckt's car has said pillow ball
>camber
>plates and IT WORKS!!!  No customer adjustments needed as in bang, hack,
>file,

My point was that the tein plates mount below inside the wheel area not on
the top in the engine area.  I knew that they offered the plates.  The
plates are similar to the Stillen and the Cusco plates.

>Well Thomas errr Steve you need to see one in action, plain and simple.
>Proof
>is in the pudding.  And I'm eatin and lovin it.

Actually I may get to use a tein setup this winter for about 1 month or so
(on my personal car).  I will try to get to the track if I get to and give
some feedback.  I am not against the TEIN setup.  I just don't jump on
something that has not been proven (I have never learned Japanese so I have
not heard much about them from a actual user).  You are the first person to
give me feedback on the tein setup on a track driven car.  That helps but I
am a hard sell when it comes to suspension products.  Sorry if my skepticism
bothers you.

Steve Foltz
98 Sentra SE