EGR Tube with a turbo

Hammer Down hammer_down@hotmail.com
Tue, 20 May 2003 10:45:42 -0500

I cut the exiting EGR tube In three places but only used three of the four
peices.  One cut was made just under the distributor and then I cut the near
"90 degree bend" out of the part you previously cut off.  I used high temp
silicone hose and coupled the now cut-off 90 to the part that attaches to
the intake manifold but pointed it down so as to run it close to the
transimission (between the trans and the radiator).  I used High Temp
Silicone hose and conected a piece of custom bent conduit (approximately the
same diameter as the stock EGR tube, and ran the conduit down to where it
ran parallel with the down pipe running under the oil pan.  Then I cut the
the flared end (with the male threaded fitting) of the stock EGR tube,
leaving about 7 inches of the straight tube in order to connect it to the
conduit with another peice of Silicone hose.  I cut the stock EGR bung out
of the stock DE down pipe and had it welded to the down pipe in the
appropriate position and then screwed the stock male fitting into it.  I ran
it under the car so that it would be easier to remove if necessary.  Close
to the turbo was a tight fit.  It worked and the car still passed emissions.
  I had JWT tune the ECU with keeping the EGR intact.   Hope that helps.
There are more professional ways but this worked well for the short swap
time frame I had to work with.  At the time, I didn't have a small tube
mandrel bender, nor a MIG welder, nor a peice of Stanless to weld to the
stock peices.  Like I said, it worked well and I had no failures for over
45,000 miles.

Erik Halvorson

You wrote:  "What did all you turbo monkeys do with the EGR tube when you
put a turbo on your DE?"