External battery kill switch placement.

Ben Fenner fenfam@attbi.com
Sat, 26 Apr 2003 00:13:39 -0500

> it sounds like you need to cut both the battery AND the alternator.  That
> could be a little tricky.

If my electrical engenering serves me correctly, by cutting the ground that
will stop all power flow, even from the alternator. The alternator's circut
passes through the battery in series and would be interupted by the switch
dissabling it's ability to keep the car running. The fuel pump will stop,
the spark plugs will stop,  and everything else. In short, by cutting the
ground you disable the chance for an electrical incident (NHRA and SCCA's
goal).
I think all it would take is for someone who's done it correctly to chime in
here, or someone with knowlage of this area of SCCA rules.

-Ben
1994 Sentra SE-R