I really need some help..

Dan Thompson dthompson@adelphia.net
Mon, 21 Apr 2003 11:19:57 -0500

> I then went to start the car....nothing. the motor will turn, and
> then stops..almost violently. i can actually hear the motor stopping
> before the starter does so there is that bell ringing sound off the
> flywheel..

Did you perchance have the battery disconnected at any point during
the maintenance?  Is it possible you didn't tighten the terminal(s)
down completely?

When I regrounded my MAF I had the bright idea of putting the ring
terminal I used in the *middle* of the negative battery terminal
instead of on one side or the other.  I had the same thing happen - the
car would begin to crank, then stop suddenly.  When I checked the
terminal it was loose, despite the fact that I had tightened it well,
and the terminal on the battery was pitted where the high current was
arcing from the terminal on the cable to the terminal on the battery.

<blush>

Needless to say, I moved the ring terminal and everything was fine.

Dan