Kosei Wheels, S-03s, etc

Wayne Cox wmc_sr20@bellsouth.net
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 11:31:08 -0500

I did Kosei K-1s in 15x7 and BridgeStone S-03s, 195/50-15 on my NX2k last
April.  Bought from Tirerack.  Here's pictures (on my ratty NX):

http://www.xxiii.com/wcox/Kosei_K1_NX
(These are raw off the digi-cam, mostly large high-res &
high-color.  Hopefully you have a fast 'net connection, and a graphics
viewer that can easily scale them down to screen size.)

T.R. claims the 15x7 K-1s are 12.5 - 13.0 lbs/ea.  I think that's pretty
accurate.  The combo, with balancing weights and valve stems is 34lbs.  I
had a chance to weight a fresh tire by itself, and it was 22.

I didn't care for the Kosei stickers;  the pressure washer at any car wash
removes them nicely.  Also, they do not come with center caps.  T.R.
supplied the ones in the pix for like $6 or $8/ea.  They're not the
cleanest look, but better than exposed axle or bearing, IMO.  T.R. includes
the appropriate size centering rings, 59mm for us IIRC.

T.R. doesn't charge extra for the snazzy chrome valve stems, lut nuts,
socket, mounting or balancing when buying a combo.  There was $63 fed-ex
2nd day shipping, but no sales tax.  Keep that in mind when comparing other
vendors.

The S-03 is an INCREDIBLE rain tire.  But I think their dry performance is
over-rated.  They're only $79 in the 195/50-15, and a very good buy at that
price.  But given the asking price for the larger sizes, I would probably
consider a different model.  They also don't wear for shit.  The width is
very nice,  for a 195 they look more like a 205 or larger.

Be sure to keep a set of original lug nuts and the correct size wrench with
your spare tire (if you carry one of those around ;)

    -Wayne  91 NK2k,  93 NX2k,  92 SE-R-Parts-Car