Wheel and Tire Combo

Ben Fenner fenfam@attbi.com
Thu, 17 Apr 2003 08:48:38 -0500

> Okay, since you've peaked my interest, what's the deal with Panasport
wheels?

Now you've got my attension! I love these wheels! Anyone I've talked to who
owns them has said "If you can afford them, get them!". And I agree.

> Most specifically, what's the deal with the racing wheels vs. the street
> wheels?

The street wheels have center caps and weight a couple of pounds more than
the racing wheels (3-4). The racing wheels have no center caps, use a higher
aluminum content and both versions look excellent on any car IMO.

> I also notice Panasport had NO SPECS on their web site for either of them,
> just
> thumbnails with the larger images.  No prices either, but I figure I can
find
> them.

www.kspeed.com used to sell them for 10 years until he closed up shop, on
his site he actuall had prices though. You're looking at about $190 per
wheel for FS 15x7 and about $215 for UL 15x7. The UL are the racing wheel
and I've weighed mine on a 90 lb calibrated gram-style scale and they were
14 lbs each, dead on. That's for the 15x7.

> What would be the detriment of running the race version on the street?
> Durability?

Yes, that is the one factor. The thing is, from everything I was reading,
lightweight wheels had problems with warping, bending, ect. I heard horror
stories of people with M3's crushing their wheels on the first week by
hitting a groove on the highway. You do NOT have to worry about any of this
crap with the racing panasports. They are durable enough to handle just
about any gut wrenching pot-hole (I know from experience). Thier advantage
over other wheels and part of the reason why they are used so much in racing
is because of their lateral support in the turns. Some thin spoked wheels
will actually flex a bit. Not good.

> And does anyone know what they weigh? :P  15x6.5 or 7?

Sorry I don't have specs on any of the other sizes or on the street wheels,
but I know for sure the 15x7 Ultra Lites are 14 lbs.

If you'd like pics of my Black SE-R to see what they look like, or of the
wheels themselves, I have TONS.

Oh, btw, the wheel/tire and balance weights weighed in at 30 lbs. on the
scale before I put them on the car. I still haven't weighed my stock
wheel/tire combo, but I will ASAP, and I can't imagine it comes in more than
31 or 32 lbs.

If you decide on going with panasports, talk to me about lug nut size,
casting options (for brake clearance), and possible 8 week production time
(mine were made to order in Japan, took two months to get them).

-Ben
1994 Sentra SE-R