FSTB

George Roffe geo3@earthlink.net
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 14:21:07 -0600

Ben Fenner wrote:

>I think part of the reason it's been said to go without the FSTB is because
>with this brace, during hard cornering the inside wheel tends to lift off
>the ground. Sometimes the wheel comes completely off the ground. The theory
>is that the more rubber you have on the road, the harder you can corner.
>Without the brace, the chassis has the flex needed to keep both wheels
>planted better, relatively. Now I don't know the accuracy of this, I'm just
>passing on what I've read.

Understood.  Also understand that is ghetto tuning and also considerably
less predictable.

If both wheels are on the ground and the camber is bad, you don't
necessarily get more traction.  Perhaps you do, but there are better ways
of going about it since a flexible chassis is unpredictable.  Furthermore,
other than adding stickier tires, any suspension mods are pretty much a
waste of money since the flexible chassis will gain you less and the effect
will again be less predictable.

If it were me, I'd run the STB and the CAB and play with springs and
bars.  I think a light bar in the front is a good idea.  I wouldn't
eliminate one completely since a swaybar will speed up your load transfer
and help greatly in transitions.  I'd probably get really wacko springs for
the rear to help it rotate.  Wouldn't be terribly streetable, but I've
never really understood the whole prepping a car for autocross thing
anyway.  To me it's always been meant to be a fun run whatcha brung type of
competition, but I know there are folks out there that do it pretty
seriously.  I'd say if I wanted to do it really seriously, I'd have a
second set of dampers/springs to change in at an autocross and perhaps even
the rear bar.  A good autocross set-up would be majorly twitchy at best on
the street and downright dangerous at worst.

George Roffe