Engine ticking

Ben Fenner fenfam@attbi.com
Mon, 24 Feb 2003 14:06:41 -0600

Ok, long story short. The car stalled going through a DEEP puddle. Tried to
start car, it wouldn't turn over. Tried to push start, the engine wasn't
having that. I took out the plugs and turned it over many times with water
spewing out. Once I got rid of all the water I could, I dried the plugs and
such, and put things back together. She finally started after much cranking.
After running with the pedal down for 15 minutes or so it would idle
finally, but poorly. I've completely dried the air filter, checked the
distibutor/rotor and checked the oil for water (I'll be replacing the oil
tomorrow or the next day) and drove it around town to see what it would do.
Right now it's incredibly underpowered, and makes a very loud and annoying
clicking/ticking that is entirely RPM dependant and sounds like a high
pitched whine above 2k rpm. Kind of like someone stuck a playing card in my
flywheel.

What could it be? And what haven't I done that I should do?
If it's a bent valve or something expensive, I'm not going to be a happy
camper.

-Ben
1994 Sentra SE-R