Tools

hlava lhlvava@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 22:14:50 -0600

Went to make my Kobalt tool purchase tonight. Found out that the set I want
isn't available only in metric... it's a standard and metric mix.

There are 27 standard sockets, 25 metric sockets, 3/8" drive, 1/2" drive and
2 extensions.

I was kind of po'd. I have very little use for the standard sockets. Plus,
the sockets for sparkplug removal is only in standard, though there are
other deep sockets in metric.

I've been trying like hell to get anyone at Lowes to tell me if there is a
metric only set... even called all 9 stores in the surrounding area. Not one
person I talked to had any idea. The Kobalt site has shrunken, so no luck
there... and Lowes website only lists the std/metric set.

I was so pumped about this, but now I'm not too sure I want to drop $104 for
just 25 sockets, the ratchets and extensions. Since I'd only be using less
than half the set, it doesn't look very cost effective.

I did see some interesting ratchet wrenches(15 deg. offset, 5 deg. range of
turn motion) that looked interesting. Probably very useful in tight spaces,
i.e. EGR bolts.

Oh well, back to the search. Maybe it's God's way of telling me that maybe
it's not a good idea for me to work on my own car ;)

Later,
Mark