was Battery Relocation, now Corrosion

Peter Serwe peter@easytree.net
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 08:25:29 -0600

Well it's been a few days, and I didn't really have
much to say, but I wanted to make sure the list is
still working, and point out a simple maintenence
issue for those who don't spring the $150 for a
red top Optima.

If you use regular 'ol chassis lube grease and
cover the contacts, it makes the connection
better, keeping the corrosion off, and doesn't
form crap around the terminals.

As a matter of fact, up here in Maine
where stuff rusts as you watch, corrosion
protection is one of the most important issues
we face.

Speaking of corrosion, my rocker panels have
huge rust holes in them, I knew they were weak
earlier in the summer, but I didn't know there were
holes.  The winter salt is vicious.

What's the _right_ way to fix this short
of replacing the whole car?  I don't really
wanna just cover it up, I want to cut out
all the rust and close it up tight so it doesn't
keep going.

My first thought was - cut them
out of a parts car with clean rockers and
weld them in, or what?

The hole's in the area behind the door.
Down where it turns under, you can't see it
standing right next to the car, but I don't
want the body to rust off it, either.

There's also a couple little rust pinholes in the
roof, but I think I can handle that without
welding and everywhere else seems clear.

I want to try to fix/paint it this summer.

--
Peter Serwe <peter@easytree.net>
Cheaper, Faster, Better, pick any two.