ABS Problems

Darin Dux ddux@vermeermfg.com
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 15:18:46 -0600

I've had this same issue on a '95 G20 and followed the procedures in the FSM
to troubleshoot each of the components of the system to no avail.
Basically, it seemed like one wheel sensor would stop working sometimes, but
since it only happened intermittently I could never narrow it to which one
had the problem.  The Infiniti tech that I described the symptoms to said it
was indeed most likely the computer and they had seen that somewhat
regularly.  The most difficult part of the problem is that as soon as the
computer detects a malfunction it shuts the system off, thereby limiting the
troubleshooting ability.

I actually ended up selling the car before I had the chance to go further,
but my plan was to get a $75 (or so) used ABS computer from Car-Part.com and
try that.

I'd suggest trying the procedures in the FSM or even just take it in to the
dealer for a diagnosis.  Then you can replace the defective part yourself.

-Darin (currently replacing a bad ABS actuator on an '01 Xterra)