NX Vibrations when accelerating

Bourdin, Vincent BOurdin@ptc.com
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 07:54:47 -0600

Hi all,

Recently I've noticed my 92 NX vibrates when accelerating on the highway. The
ride is as always very smooth otherwise.
I've searched the archives and saw that motor mounts and CV joints popped up
several times as the possible causes of this problem.
I've tried revving the engine up while parked and see if the car starts
shaking, and it doesn't. I've looked at the engine mounts and although not new
(my NX has 110k) they don't look that bad. I've only got the car for 2 years
now, so I don't know how it was treated before, but it was definitively not
raced, if that can help the diagnostic.
Now, one problem I know I have to fix (hoping that's where the problem is
coming from) is that both of my CV boots are not clamped to the CV join
assembly anymore. The boot bands must have gone loose as they let the boots
get off the joints. This must have happened only recently since last time I
did an oil change (3000mi ago) I didn't notice that the boots came off.
So my question is: could the boots not attached to the joint be the sole cause
of these vibrations? (please say yes, I don't feel like spending lots of $ in
replacing other expensive things in that area).
Thanks for your inputs.

Vince.