If your logged on and know trans work, help I'm working on my back!

Wayne Cox wmc_sr20@bellsouth.net
Wed, 15 Jan 2003 13:43:06 -0600

At 01:27 PM 1/15/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>OK I've got the gears back together and the trans on the car. I can't get
>it to go flush :-( Gimme tips! What do you guys who work on your trans on
>your backs do?

It has to be aligned square & perpendicular to the block.  The clutch disk
has to be centered behind the pressure plate.  There are at least 2
aligning dowels that have to mate up.

I used to have a real bitch of a time with it, but can do it pretty easily
now (about 6 or 8 later!)  I have a Sears floor jack with a 6" or so
diameter saddle.  I come in under the strut, parallel with the engine and
crank.  If you get just the right spot, the tranny will balance on the
saddle at the right angle to mate up.  Jack it up to within a 1/4" or so
height wise, and roll the jack to bring it up to the block.  From there,
get under it and LIFT & SHOVE.  Have a couple bolts ready to run into the
top.  An extra person as "spotter" is probably good too (it's about 90lbs
of metal.)

    -Wayne    '91 NX2k - '93 NK2k - '92 SE-R parts car