strut mounts

Peter Serwe peter@easytree.net
Thu, 26 Dec 2002 17:26:46 -0600

At $279 for the hyperco's vs. $400 for the FULLY adjustable ground control
coilovers using real 2.5" eibach racing springs - none of that variable rate 1"
drop street poo.

I thought long and hard about the hyperco springs, but for the $120 difference,
the ground control kit is 100x the spring kit.   And best of all, they mount
right on the AGX shocks..  I put them on my AGX shocks after having pro-kits on
there for 6 months to my extreme dismay.

I would also argue that any drop in ride height without suspension travel
enhancing modifications is stupid.  There's barely enough suspension travel on a
classic as it is.   The stock ride height, or change at will ride height of the
ground controls is insanely worthwhile IMO.

Best of all, you can do the expensive pillowball mounts front and rear later on,
the ground control kit gives you more flexibility for later modification.  Add
the caster/camber plates in a year - they'll be just valuable to you then, and
until you do, keep your ride height within a half inch of stock, so you don't
have to compensate for the negative camber inducing drop..

Lastly, when you want to squeeze that last ounce of performance out of the car,
and really make it handle like a slot car, go get it cornerweighted (I can't
wait!), with you sitting in the drivers' seat.

The shigspeed mounts for the rear will give you more travel, more consistently -
I'd call them a must have for the car, it already feels loads more solid back
there.  I expect a rear strut brace and swaybars to make it virtually perfect.

Best of luck, whatever goes on your car.

Brian Cembor wrote:

> Oh daddy like, however, daddy is a poor bastard...
> Thing is, I will be getting AGXs probably in the near future.. so I'll go
> with those then, to compliment the Hypercos I hope to be getting.. (thanks
> Chris).. especially since they have the Kojima seal of approval... ;^}
> Maybe when I get a good job that pays more than welfare I can afford them
> fancy doohickies...

> As it stands, or sags in my case... right now I'll get the struts and mounts
> at the same time as has been pointed out to this monkey.
> But this little thingy here will go in the save file for later perusal..
> when I plan to take to over the world Pinky... MUHAHAHAHA!!

> <sigh> too little sleep and work.... make ya giddy...

> thanks to all who have given answers and whatnot on this issue. I have
> learned a lot and will be much better prepared to work on this.
> Brain... err Brian

> I think this setup with the ground control camber/caster plates in the
> front beats the crap out of the KYB rubber mounts.

> It also costs 10x as much.

> --
> Peter Serwe <peter@easytree.net>

--