tires cupping

Brian Cembor bcembor@fastenal.com
Mon, 23 Dec 2002 08:12:45 -0600

Yeah, in driving around this weekend I believe it is worn struts. Autoxing
and now the weather turning cold has killed the OE stockers.. 126k on them.
Squeak a lot lately.

They do not dampen well at all on uneven pavement (my daily commute) but do
not have bad floating symptoms on the highway or in turns. Also does not
dive hard under braking.

Looks like I will be needing some KYBs very soon... $$

Brian M. Cembor

Tire places traditionally blame cupping on bad struts.  And they are
probably right.  I agree with Wayne that lack of rotation is not likely
to be the cause, nor is bad toe/camber likely to cause cupping.  There's
lots of bad information out there, so you are right to be careful.  I'd
recommend that you consult a mechanic that you trust before spending a
lot of money on the recommendation of some conveyer belt alignment guy
or tire salesman.