SR20DE head flow numbers.

Robert Legere rlegere@snet.net
Sun, 22 Dec 2002 18:13:28 -0600

--- JMalapetsa@aol.com wrote:
> On the high port head you can only bring the floor
> down so much because of the
> water galley.

*****Why would you want to lower the floor John? Just
curious...I always try to keep the bowl area sides
perpendicular to the valve seat area, at least until
the short side radius. If you lower the floor, the air
enters the seat/valve area at an angle, and the air
can't turn the corner past the seat/valve very well. A
lot of turbulence occurs, and flow goes to hell.

the low port head is good for higher
> rpms.

*****I think perhaps you are comparing manifold
designs over head designs here. Build identical
manifolds for each head (long runner AND short runner
for each head type), then dyno every combination of
engines. Apples and oranges my friend.....
     I again call out the fact that for N/A racing
engines, the high port is unanimously prefered. Much
better high rpm power. BUT, these engines are all
using short individual TB intake manifolds, not the
massively long high-port intake runners, nor the
shorter low port runners with plenum.
     We will be able to compare the high port head a
bit better when I'm done building the new intake
manifold I've designed. It will have removeable ram
pipes which can be changed from long to short and in
between. So comparisons of runner lengths on a high
port can be observed and dynoed.

Bob Legere