Tire balancing

Wayne Cox wmc_sr20@bellsouth.net
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 08:13:14 -0600

At 05:28 AM 12/11/2002 -0600, you wrote:
>I know the stick-on's don't leave scratches, which is a definite plus.
>.... my wheels do not have any kind of lip on the outside rim, it's just
>totally smooth, and stick-on's

Stick-ons don't go on the outside lip.  They're put on the inside diameter
of the wheel, like just behind the spokes.  On the inboard side of the
wheel, you can do another row of stick-ons, or a clip-on rim weight (some
say this is better).

The important thing is you have a shop with a good balance machine and an
operator that knows his shit.  Hunter is probably the biggest manufacturer
of balance machines.  Their reasonably new ones have a dial or something to
select the type of weights, and where they will be mounted (look for
switches like "standard, alloy 1, alloy 2")  Some shops have cheap or very
old machines with no such controls, from the days when steel wheels and rim
weights were the norm.  Such shops will try to do stick-ons when asked to
with their crap machine, but the results suck.
    -WC