Tire balancing

Peter Serwe peter@easytree.net
Wed, 11 Dec 2002 07:47:08 -0600

I'm using the stockers at the moment on my classic - and I
have a set of 17x7.5 at italia's I *think* their type 5's
- I'm not 100% - bought from tirerack for the 750iL.

I bought them mounted (and balanced) from the tirerack, they show up
with 25-30psi, ready to mount and pressurize to your favorite settings.

It's got enough power to spin those big wheels, no prob, but it's a luxury car,
so putting them on it is at least a questionable call - I probably shouldn't
throw that thing into corners like I enjoy so much,
but it sure does stick good on those Sumi HTRZ II's.

IIRC the're 235/40/17 - but they might have a 45% sidewall, and yes,
I could go outside and make sure, but I'm feeling lazy and it's cold out there.

The rims look like the M5 rims off a few years back model, the're probably heavy
though.

The look GOOD on the 750, I'm still lusting for OZ Superleggera 15x7's for the
Classic though.

Any weight info I can find on AT Italia rims says they probably tip the scales
at around 26-27lbs, in the 17x (I thought 8, but maybe only 7.5).

Funny - I saw a similiar casting mark on the stock SE-R 14" rims as on
the AT Italias... anyone know who manufactures the stock rim?

Oh yeah, the AT Italias I have were balanced with stick-ons
from tirerack.  I certainly don't see them when I look at the
rims on the car - as always, YMMV.

But I'll also say that appearance has little to do with my choice in rims,
I'm more concerned with weight/strength/final drive ratio/offset/bolt
pattern/price
- I don't care if the rims look like purple pigs with orange mohawks -
if the're light and strong, keep me in a good enough gear ratio, and
don't screw my speedo up too bad...

Just my $.02 - take it for what it's worth.

Pete

--
Peter Serwe <peter@easytree.net>
Cheaper, Faster, Better, pick any two.