Does Lowering ONE END of a CAR causes weight transfertowards this end?

Jon Davis TurboSER@comcast.net
Fri, 29 Nov 2002 10:10:59 -0600

Chris,

> How exactly did you model the car and come up with the COG displacement? I
> am very curious since I cannot fathom HOW the COG "moves" with repsect to
> the two axes. In my simplified analysis the COG does not move.

Imagine a bar stool. Put books under 2 legs, but keep the other 2 fixed...
the top of the stool moves toward the fixed legs, so does the CG. The same
thing happens with the car.

My model was a triangle:

F               R
                Rprime

FCR stands for front axle, CG and rear axle. F and R are 96" apart, C is
38.4" from F and 12" high. I drew a new point Rprime 4" below R and
calculated angle R->F->Rprime. I rotated C about F by the angle R-F-Rp. I
recalculated the triangle FCR and weight distributions using the new C
location. In the new triangle, C has moved toward the ground and toward the
rear axle.

Jon Davis