engine build up

Nilsson, Zak Zak.Nilsson@latimes.com
Thu, 28 Nov 2002 12:10:25 -0600

> Anyways can U use GTiR rod bearings
> with a non-GTiR crank ? I heard that they have better design, and they flow
> oil better due to like a 360 deg oil feed or something like that ??

The reason they flow oil better is because the GTiR bearing has 5 holes that
punch all the way through. But that alone isn't what helps it flow better -
the GTiR motor has grooves cut into the block right underneath the bearings
so that the oil can get that 360 degree flow through and around the bearings.
Here's some pictures of the GTiR bearings in my built motor with the grooves
cut into the block.

http://www.xaqtly.com/car/pictures/image/plastigauge.jpg

http://www.xaqtly.com/car/pictures/image/bearing2.jpg

In those pics  you can clearly see the depth underneath each hole - that's the
groove in the block I was talking about. If you don't cut that groove, you might
as well use normal SR20DE bearings because the holes in the GTiR bearings
will be blocked off. Jim Wolf has a tool that will do the groove cutting, and it's
not very expensive at all. Of course you have to send them your block.

-Zak